Despite Jason Kenney’s claims, outdated listings persist on Canada Job Bank

Published: May 13, 2014
Canada-Temp Foreign Workers

Employment Minister Jason Kenney responds during question period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Tuesday, May 13, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

LEE-ANNE GOODMAN
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA — Employment Minister Jason Kenney says there are no job postings languishing on the federal government’s online job bank that are older than six months — even though the site is strewn with ads that are almost a year old or older.

“The typical maximum posting period is 30 days,” Kenney said this week in the House of Commons. “We only extend it beyond that if employers ask for an extension for up to six months maximum, after which the postings expire.”

While the jobs themselves have certainly expired, the postings remain on the job bank, counted as part of the total number of openings currently being advertised on the site.

Kenney often cites the tens of thousands of jobs posted on the job bank — more than 113,000 on Tuesday — and the seven million hits it receives each month as evidence of its rousing success.

The job bank also plays a critical role in Canada’s embattled temporary foreign workers program. The rules require would-be employers to post ads seeking Canadian workers for four weeks before they apply to hire temporary foreign workers.

What’s more, the government relies in part on job bank data to determine what regions of the country are clamouring for labour. It also uses the job bank to point employment insurance recipients to openings.

But across Canada, there are postings on the site for jobs in dozens of communities that have long since been filled. They include ads for food servers, pipeline engineers, auto mechanics and retail sales clerks, many of them posted on the job bank by private sector job-listing companies like Workopolis.

Ads for jobs at government agencies and departments are among those that often remain on the site for more than six months.

An ad seeking veterinarians in cities across Canada for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency has been up for more than a year. The agency said they were “continuous intake” openings that were still available in some cities.

National Defence has several listings, particularly in the Maritimes, that were posted more than a year ago. They include ads for a painter and shipwright in Halifax that have since been filled. Fisheries and Oceans also have job listings on the site that are a year old.

Certain companies seem particularly lax about removing their postings.

Noramtec Consultants, a Toronto-based recruitment company, has 103 jobs advertised on the site for positions across the country. Randstad, another Toronto-based recruitment firm that has offices across the country, has more than 2,000 listings on the site.

Many of those listings were posted more than six months ago.

An official at Noramtec said Tuesday it was possible even the old listings were still active, but added she wasn’t sure. A Randstad official didn’t immediately return calls.

A spokesman for Employment and Social Development Canada said last week that it’s up to employers to remove the postings after they’ve been filled.

The latest headache for Kenney’s department comes as the Bank of Canada releases a study suggesting Canada’s jobs recovery since the global economic downturn has not been as strong as the unemployment rate would suggest.

The bank suggests the government needs to start assessing a wide range of variables, not just the unemployment rate, to get a clearer picture of what’s actually taking place in Canada’s labour market. Those indicators include long-time unemployment and labour under-utilization.


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,





Featured

Mahdi Halane was filled with life before being shot in the neck in 2006 as an innocent victim of a drive-by shooting. He died in 2012. A Surrey man has now been charged with manslaughter in the case. Submitted photo/Surrey Now

Family of innocent victim of Surrey drive-by shooting ‘very nervous’ as they face son’s alleged killer in court eight years later

TOM ZYTARUK SURREY NOW SURREY, B.C. — The Halane family received another knock at their door late Friday night. The last time police came calling, in…
Continue Reading »

A woman is in hospital following a serious assault in a Surrey home Monday. Surrey RCMP said the woman suffered head injuries from a beating that occurred in a residence in the 12800-block 100th Avenue just before 1:30 p.m. Photo by Shane MacKichan for The Province.

Woman in serious condition after being beaten in Surrey home

CHERYL CHAN VANCOUVER DESI A woman is in hospital following a serious assault in a Surrey home Monday. Surrey RCMP said the woman suffered head…
Continue Reading »

Neverfrost co-founder Khanjan Desai works in Kitchener, Ont., on Friday, Dec. 12, 2014 with an infrared-reflective film he and his co-founder Chong Shen created. Neverfrost is a clear film that is designed to protect windshields from natural and seasonal elements, such as insulating against summer heat, preventing frost during winters, and avoiding stone chips on windshields. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Hannah Yoon

Tired of scraping ice off car windows? Meet Canadian startup Neverfrost

DAVID FRIEND  THE CANADIAN PRESS WATERLOO, Ont. — Fed up with the dismal winter ritual of chiselling ice off their car windows, a group of…
Continue Reading »

LOCAL NEWS

Mahdi Halane was filled with life before being shot in the neck in 2006 as an innocent victim of a drive-by shooting. He died in 2012. A Surrey man has now been charged with manslaughter in the case. Submitted photo/Surrey Now

Family of innocent victim of Surrey drive-by shooting ‘very nervous’ as they face son’s alleged killer in court eight years later

TOM ZYTARUK SURREY NOW SURREY, B.C. — The Halane family received another knock at their door late Friday night. The last time police came calling, in…
Continue Reading »

A woman is in hospital following a serious assault in a Surrey home Monday. Surrey RCMP said the woman suffered head injuries from a beating that occurred in a residence in the 12800-block 100th Avenue just before 1:30 p.m. Photo by Shane MacKichan for The Province.

Woman in serious condition after being beaten in Surrey home

CHERYL CHAN VANCOUVER DESI A woman is in hospital following a serious assault in a Surrey home Monday. Surrey RCMP said the woman suffered head…
Continue Reading »

U.S.-Cuba thaw unlikely to deter defection, expert says ahead of Pan Am Games

By Paola Loriggio THE CANADIAN PRESS TORONTO — For months, the thought of walking out on his team and fleeing to the U.S. lingered on…
Continue Reading »

Don't Miss...

Vancouver-BC

Raise your hand, send us a selfie and make a statement against racism (with video)

VANCOUVER DESI Vancouver Desi’s digital anti-racism campaign, Raise Your Hands Against Racism, officially kicked off Thursday, with people across the Lower Mainland sending in selfies…
Continue Reading »

prv0122Nfashion01

Passion for fashion turned into day job for Surrey clothing designer

LARISSA CAHUTE VANCOUVER DESI Surrey’s Davi Bains-Gill never thought her love for fashion and design could be her livelihood. She pursued a career in social…
Continue Reading »

five hole main

Donated equipment from Vancouver on its way to hockey-mad northern India

KENT SPENCER VANCOUVER DESI The neat thing about a Canadian effort to donate hockey equipment to the Himalayas is that there is a lot of…
Continue Reading »

In this Tuesday, April 2, 2013 photo, foreign tourists walk on a street near the railway station in New Delhi, India. Violence against women, and the huge publicity generated by recent attacks here, is threatening India's $17.7 billion tourism industry. AP Photo /Manish Swarup

India wants female tourists to feel safe when they visit

NATALIE OBIKO PEARSON BLOOMBERG NEWS Don’t move alone, don’t go anywhere at midnight and don’t get into a vehicle without first taking a photo of…
Continue Reading »

miss canada

Miss Universe Canada scores big buzz online with outlandish hockey costume (w/ photos)

THE CANADIAN PRESS MIAMI — Chanel Beckenlehner is hoping to take home the crown at the Miss Universe pageant, but win or lose, she’s scored…
Continue Reading »


Bollywood Latest

U.S. President Barack Obama speaks at the Siri Fort Auditorium, a government-run event center, in New Delhi, India, Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015. Obama gently nudged India Tuesday to fulfill its constitution's pledge to uphold the "dignity of the individual," drawing on his own experience as a minority in the United States as he closed out a three-day visit to New Delhi. AP Photo/Saurabh Das

Shah Rukh Khan on cloud nine after Obama shout out

IANS Mumbai  – Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan is on cloud nine after U.S. President Barack Obama incorporated his famous Senorita dialogue in his address…
Continue Reading »

PK-Bollywood sex-desi boobs

Anushka Sharma refuses body double, performs her own stunts in upcoming thriller

JIGAR SHAH HINDUSTAN TIMES When actors don the hat of a producer they don’t mind going the extra mile for their own film. This is…
Continue Reading »

Messenger of God

India’s censor board clears controversial guru’s film MSG

HINDUSTAN TIMES The Censor Board has cleared Messenger of God, the controversial film by Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh – self-styled spiritual guru and chief of…
Continue Reading »