Canadian, American among 8 convicted in Dubai for parody video

Published: December 23, 2013
PARODY

A Canadian and an American from Sri Lanka are among the eight people convicted and sentenced in Dubai’s parody case. PNG archive

ADAM SCHRECK
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — A court in the United Arab Emirates sentenced eight people, including an unidentified Canadian, on Monday after being convicted in connection to a satirical video about youth culture in Dubai.

The Canadian was among three defendants sentenced in absentia.

The video they produced and uploaded to the Internet was a spoof documentary of would-be “gangsta” youth in the Gulf Arab city-state. The state-owned daily The National said they were accused of “defaming the image of United Arab Emirates society abroad.” Supporters of the defendants reported that they were charged under a 2012 cybercrimes law that tightened penalties for challenging authorities.

Shezanne Cassim, a 29-year-old U.S. citizen from Woodbury, Minn., became the public face of the defendants after his family launched an effort to publicize his months-long incarceration following his arrest in April.

Cassim, who was born in Sri Lanka and moved to Dubai for work after graduating from the University of Minnesota in 2006, was sentenced Monday to a year in prison followed by deportation and received a 10,000 dirham ($2,725) fine, according to family spokeswoman Jennifer Gore.

Cassim’s brother, Shervon, called the ruling “painful and unfair.”

“Shez is coming up on nine months incarceration for making a parody. This isn’t justice,” he said in a statement.

American consular officials have been following the case closely and attended Monday’s hearing at the State Security Court in the federal capital, Abu Dhabi.

The U.S. Embassy had no immediate comment following the verdict. State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf last week said American officials were troubled by Cassim’s “prolonged incarceration” and called for “a fair and expedient trial and judgment.”

Two Indian defendants received similar sentences, while two Emirati brothers were sentenced to eight months behind bars and received 5,000 dirham fines, according to The National. A third brother was pardoned.

Two other defendants, a Briton and an American, were convicted and sentenced in absentia to the penalties given to the other foreigners. They, along with the Canadian, have never been detained by authorities and so are unlikely to serve their sentences.

The paper identified the defendants only by their initials, which is common in the Emirati media.

Gulf Arab authorities have been cracking down on social media use over the past two years, with dozens of people arrested across the region for Twitter posts deemed offensive to leaders or for social media campaigns urging more political openness.

The video, called “Ultimate Combat System: The Deadly Satwa Gs,” is set in the Satwa district of Dubai. It is a documentary style clip that pokes fun at Dubai youth who styled themselves “gangstas” but are not particularly thuggish, and shows fictional “combat” training that includes throwing a sandal and using a mobile phone to call for help.

It opens with text saying the video is fictional and is not meant to offend.

The case has drawn attention from celebrity comedians in the U.S. The comedy video website Funny or Die, co-founded by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, posted a video earlier this month to raise awareness about Cassim’s situation.

In the video, McKay says: “Basically Dubai, if you want to be viewed as an international place, destination — don’t put people in jail for making silly videos. … It’s one thing to have a bad sense of humour. It’s another thing to lock somebody up because of it.”

Related Stories:

——

Associated Press writer Amy Forliti contributed from Minneapolis.

19:21ET 23-12-13

[+]

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,



Readers Comments (0)

Comments are closed.

Featured

A soldier in the Canadian Army stands guard at the National War Memorial during a ceremony at the memorial on October 24, 2014 in Ottawa, Canada.  Two days ago a gunman killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a soldier guarding the memorial. The gunman then stormed the main parliament building, terrorizing the public and politicians, before he was shot dead. Andrew Burton/Getty Images

Five things to know about the anti-terrorism measures to be tabled today

JIM BRONSKILL THE CANADIAN PRESS OTTAWA — The Conservative government is poised to introduce anti-terrorism legislation today that will amend existing laws and create new…
Continue Reading »

AP Photo/James H. Collins, File.

B.C. hate-crime investigation: Racist ranter declares ‘open season’ on First Nations people

THE CANADIAN PRESS TERRACE, B.C. — Terrace RCMP are investigating allegations that a hate crime was committed when someone posted a racist tirade on Facebook…
Continue Reading »

Archbishop Christian Lepine, Montreal mayor Denis Coderre, and Sayed Nabil Abbas, left to right, take part in a meeting with spiritual leaders to talk about unity and diversity in wake of Charlie Hebdo. The meeting was held at city hall in Montreal on Wednesday January 28, 2015. Allen McInnis / MONTREAL GAZETTE

Montreal mayor urges city’s religious leaders to unite against intolerance after Charlie Hebdo attack

RENE BRUEMMER MONTREAL GAZETTE Montreal mayor Denis Coderre brought together several leaders of the city’s numerous religious communities Wednesday at city hall, saying he wanted…
Continue Reading »

LOCAL NEWS

A soldier in the Canadian Army stands guard at the National War Memorial during a ceremony at the memorial on October 24, 2014 in Ottawa, Canada.  Two days ago a gunman killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a soldier guarding the memorial. The gunman then stormed the main parliament building, terrorizing the public and politicians, before he was shot dead. Andrew Burton/Getty Images

Five things to know about the anti-terrorism measures to be tabled today

JIM BRONSKILL THE CANADIAN PRESS OTTAWA — The Conservative government is poised to introduce anti-terrorism legislation today that will amend existing laws and create new…
Continue Reading »

AP Photo/James H. Collins, File.

B.C. hate-crime investigation: Racist ranter declares ‘open season’ on First Nations people

THE CANADIAN PRESS TERRACE, B.C. — Terrace RCMP are investigating allegations that a hate crime was committed when someone posted a racist tirade on Facebook…
Continue Reading »

Archbishop Christian Lepine, Montreal mayor Denis Coderre, and Sayed Nabil Abbas, left to right, take part in a meeting with spiritual leaders to talk about unity and diversity in wake of Charlie Hebdo. The meeting was held at city hall in Montreal on Wednesday January 28, 2015. Allen McInnis / MONTREAL GAZETTE

Montreal mayor urges city’s religious leaders to unite against intolerance after Charlie Hebdo attack

RENE BRUEMMER MONTREAL GAZETTE Montreal mayor Denis Coderre brought together several leaders of the city’s numerous religious communities Wednesday at city hall, saying he wanted…
Continue Reading »

Don't Miss...

Vancouver-BC

Raise your hand, send us a selfie and make a statement against racism (with video)

VANCOUVER DESI Vancouver Desi’s digital anti-racism campaign, Raise Your Hands Against Racism, officially kicked off Thursday, with people across the Lower Mainland sending in selfies…
Continue Reading »

File photo: Commuters hang by doors of a crowded local train in Mumbai, India, Tuesday, July 8, 2014. Three men were killed on Monday after they attempted to take a selfie by a moving train near Agra. AP Photo/Rajanish Kakade

College students killed while attempting train selfie in India

VANCOUVER DESI Three college friends on their way to India’s Republic Day celebrations were killed by a speeding train after they tried posing for a…
Continue Reading »

Screen shot of Shah Rukh Khan's first video tweet. Submitted.

Shah Rukh Khan sends out India’s first tweet using Twitter’s new mobile video camera

VANCOUVER DESI Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan was the first-ever Indian to use Twitter’s freshly launched mobile video camera. Twitter announced the new feature on…
Continue Reading »

Indian spectators watch as a float carrying a sign that reads "Congratulations! It's a Baby Girl" passes by during the Indian Republic Day parade in New Delhi on January 26, 2015. The float represented India's Ministry of Women and Child Development.  An estimated 26 million babies are born anually in India, a country considered to be one of the worst places to be born a girl because of a societal 'gender gap' that favours boys and preferences for male children.  ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP/Getty Images

India’s Supreme Court bans online advertisements for pre-birth sex tests

VANCOUVER DESI India’s Supreme Court has ordered Internet giants Google, Yahoo and Microsoft to block all advertisements for pre-birth tests that determine a child’s gender,…
Continue Reading »

sethi

American Punjabi rapper feels at home in Vancouver

Collaborative hip hop and artistic group Char Bagh set to play the PuSh Festival on Saturday   LARISSA CAHUTE VANCOUVER DESI California-based MC and artist…
Continue Reading »


Bollywood Latest

Akshay Kumar

Askhay Kumar offers martial arts training to visually impaired girls

PRASHANT SINGH HINDUSTAN TIMES Last year, Akshay Kumar — who was a professional martial arts trainer before he started acting — launched an initiative to…
Continue Reading »

Shah Rukh Khan (L) and Kajol (R) are rumoured to be appearing in the next Rohit Shetty film. Getty Images.

Rohit Shetty tightlipped on SRK, Kajol casting rumours

IANS Mumbai — Bollywood’s blockbuster director Rohit Shetty is remaining tightlipped on rumours he’s managed to rope in a casting coup of Shah Rukh Khan…
Continue Reading »

Bollywood sex

Sonam Kapoor never planned to use her father’s fame to jumpstart her Bollywood career

IANS Mumbai  – It’s always thought that Bollywood’s star children have it easy, but actress Sonam Kapoor says that at the start of her film…
Continue Reading »