Exploding Samsung Galaxy left seven-year-old Kazakhstan girl with horrific injuries

Published: April 25, 2014

Ariana Aitzhan, had been playing in the garden with friends at her home in the Kazakhstan capital Astana when her smartphone exploded in her pocket. CEN News.


A furious dad whose seven-year-old daughter was left with horrific injuries when her Samsung Galaxy S2 exploded in her pocket is refusing to hand it back to the manufacturers despite the fact that they offered to pay for all the medical bills and plastic surgery.

The girl, Ariana Aitzhan, had been playing in the garden with friends at her home in the Kazakhstan capital Astana when her parents suddenly heard her screaming.

They rushed outside to be told by her friends that something had exploded in her pocket, and nearby they discovered the remains of the telephone.

Her dad, Yerlan Aitzhan, 43, said: “When it exploded she was screaming and calling for help, a neighbour that was nearest pulled her jeans off and said that some of her skin came away with it. The burn was horrific – it went all the way through to the bone.”

He said that she was currently in hospital where she needed a skin transplant and her mother Alia Kamzina added: “She is in shock still, as are we all.

“She is now afraid of smartphones, she can’t bear to even see one being used without being terrified.”

The family said that they had also contacted Samsung who had instantly promised to reimburse and pay all the costs for the medical treatment, but her parents said it was not only about that.

Her father said: “I have paid for an independent examination of the phone. I want to know why it happened and who was to really blame before I hand it over to their private investigators. I want to see those who were really to blame punished properly.”

Ariana Aitzhan’s smartphone exploded in her pocket.CEN News.

He said he was not prepared to simply be one of those people who was paid off in order to cover up the problem and at the same time allowing others to be hurt in the future.

He added: “I was shocked when I looked on the internet and discovered that this was not the first time it happened, and that smartphones do now and then explode. Cases have been recorded not just here but in Germany and other countries. I want to warn other parents to be very careful before deciding to give their children phones. I want to get the maximum publicity for what happened to me to make others aware of the risks.”

Tags: , , , , , , , ,



Pink Chai Living: Preserving the food culture of India with traditional cooking

RAJ THANDHI VANCOUVER DESI This week I’m bringing back ‘ghar ka khana’ (homemade food). Let’s make cooking traditional foods cool again. For the last few…
Continue Reading »


23-year-old Indian soccer player dies after goal celebration goes horribly wrong

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS NEW DELHI – The Mizoram Football Association says a 23-year-old Indian soccer player has died after injuring his spine while celebrating a…
Continue Reading »


Nepal end rescue operation on popular trekking route where 39 died in blizzards, avalanches

BINAJ GURUBACHARYA THE ASSOCIATED PRESS KATMANDU, Nepal – Nepal wrapped up rescue operations in its northern mountains Monday, saying all the hikers believed to have…
Continue Reading »


Today in History – Oct. 20

Advance THE CANADIAN PRESS Today in History for Oct. 20: On this date: In 1632, Sir Christopher Wren, British astronomer and architect, was born. He…
Continue Reading »

Nepal closes popular trekking route where 38 died in snowstorms after new climbers set out

By Binaj Gurubacharya THE ASSOCIATED PRESS KATMANDU, Nepal – Nepalese officials closed a section of a popular Himalayan trekking route Sunday after rescuers, overwhelmed with…
Continue Reading »

Today in History – Oct. 19

Advance THE CANADIAN PRESS Today in History for Oct. 19: On this date: In 1216, King John of England died after consuming what was described…
Continue Reading »

Don't Miss...


False confession leads police to arrest new suspect in sexual assault of 9-year-old Surrey girl

FRANK LUBA VANCOUVER DESI A man who confessed to the sexual assault of a nine-year-old girl in Surrey has been released and a 28-year-old man…
Continue Reading »

Dilwali Fest

Diwali Fest kicks off with IndiGlam fashion-fusion show (w/ video)

LARISSA CAHUTE VANCOUVER DESI It was a classic mother-daughter argument that propelled Surrey’s Raji Khaira into a career of fashion design. Khaira, 25, grew up…
Continue Reading »

Vancouver Desi

Canada Place caught the eye of man who builds models in chalk (w/gallery)

LARISSA CAHUTE VANCOUVER DESI When Jagdeep Singh Bihal moved to Vancouver from India two years ago and did some sightseeing around the city,  it was…
Continue Reading »


Diwali organizer inspired by memories of Mumbai revelry

LARISSA CAHUTE VANCOUVER DESI Vancouver’s Rohit Chokhani can still recall his childhood in Mumbai when Indian streets would light up with fireworks and life would…
Continue Reading »


Surrey’s unlicensed Radio India to cease broadcasting in 120 days

PETER O’NEIL POSTMEDIA NEWS GATINEAU, Que. — One of B.C.’s “Pirate Radio” broadcasters boasted earlier this month of his powerful political connections, a vast public…
Continue Reading »

Bollywood Latest

Priyanka Chopra

Gallery: 20 Bollywood celebrities in their best and worst avatars

VANCOUVER DESI Every Bollywood star has come under fire for their style choices at  some point in their careers. Here we’ve taken a quick look…
Continue Reading »

reality TV

Himesh Reshammiya to record songs with reality show ‘India’s Raw Star’ contestants

IANS Mumbai – Composer Himesh Reshammiya, who made an appearance on the reality TV show “India’s Raw Star” as a guest mentor, was so moved…
Continue Reading »


Bollywood role came without any effort: Jennifer Winget

SUBHASH K. JHA IANS  Mumbai – Like many of her peers from television, Jennifer Winget is ready to move to the big screen. However, unlike…
Continue Reading »