Be careful of what you leave in your toddler’s hands: Two-year-old dies after choking on grape

Published: June 12, 2014
Britain-India

Two-year-old dies after choking on a grape in Britain. Ian Forsyth/Getty Images

IANS

London – A two-year-old Indian-origin child choked to death when a grape he was eating at his home in Britain got lodged in his throat, an inquest heard.

Jenil Sharma, the only child of Mayur Sharma and Kruti, choked on a grape he was eating while watching TV in his family home in Leicester in Britain’s East Midlands Feb 24 this year, Leicester Mercury reported Thursday.

The two-year-old was pronounced dead at Leicester Royal Infirmary after efforts to revive him failed.

Coroner Donald Coutts-Wood recorded a verdict of accidental death Wednesday at Leicester Town Hall, after an inquest hearing ended into the death of a “happy, intelligent little boy”, as described by the parents.

During the inquest proceeding, the police said: “Jenil had been eating grapes from a bowl in the living room and watching TV with his seven-year-old cousin, while Mrs Sharma was in the kitchen preparing food.

“She heard him make a strange sound and went to the door, where his cousin said a grape had stuck in Jenil’s throat.”

“Mrs Sharma tried to reach it but was unable to. She put the boy over her lap and gently slapped his back to dislodge the grape but was unsuccessful,” police said.

Police, however, stressed that there were “no suspicious circumstances, whatsoever” in Jenil’s death.

Speaking after the inquest, the parents said they were devastated by the loss of their only child.

“Jenil was a very happy baby — curious, sharp and intelligent for his age. We will miss him terribly,” the father said.

An ambulance reached the scene in ten minutes, after Jenil’s cousin contacted the emergency service through her relatives.

Paramedics quickly removed the grape using a specialist tool but, by then, Jenil had stopped breathing and gone into cardiac arrest.

Efforts to resuscitate the youngster continued en-route to hospital.

A report prepared by Samantha Jones, consultant in paediatric emergency medicine at Leicester Royal Infirmary, stated Jenil’s death was due to cardio-respiratory arrest, caused by a lack of oxygen, in turn caused by “an obstruction in the throat caused by a foreign body”.

IANS 2014-06-12 20:18:03

[+]

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,



Readers Comments (0)

Comments are closed.

Featured

Kate Middleton

Pregnant Kate Middleton cancels Malta visit

THE CANADIAN PRESS LONDON, England – The Duchess of Cambridge will not visit Malta this weekend on the advice of doctors, according to a BBC…
Continue Reading »

New Westminster BC crime

Police investigate suspicious deaths in Surrey and New Westminster

Missing Surrey teen Serena Vermeersch’s death deemed homicide JENNIFER SALTMAN VANCOUVER DESI Suspicious circumstances surround two separate deaths discovered in Surrey and New Westminster this…
Continue Reading »

fried rat in food

Customer finds fried rat mixed in pakoras at Indian railway snack kiosk

VANCOUVER DESI A snack kiosk at a railway station in Western India has been closed down after a customer found a fried rat mixed in…
Continue Reading »

LOCAL NEWS

New Westminster BC crime

Police investigate suspicious deaths in Surrey and New Westminster

Missing Surrey teen Serena Vermeersch’s death deemed homicide JENNIFER SALTMAN VANCOUVER DESI Suspicious circumstances surround two separate deaths discovered in Surrey and New Westminster this…
Continue Reading »

Surrey mayor

Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts throws hat in federal ring, plans to run for Conservatives

CASSIDY OLIVIER VANCOUVER DESI Dianne Watts opens the door to her spacious South Surrey home, smiles and offers a hand as her three large dogs…
Continue Reading »

Teachers strike BC

Smyth: So you thought the B.C. school dispute was all settled?

MICHAEL SMYTH VANCOUVER DESI Despite Christy Clark’s declaration of labour peace in our time, there’s nothing to stop the government and teachers union from ripping…
Continue Reading »

Don't Miss...

deportation-Canada

Blatchford: Pakistani woman deserves a better life in this big, empty country

CHRISTIE BLATCHFORD POSTMEDIA NEWS When I saw the picture of a weeping Jamila Bibi in the Saskatoon StarPhoenix on Tuesday, I thought of only one…
Continue Reading »

Simian death-monkey god

Monkey gets Hindu cremation by Indian villagers to avoid misfortune

VANCOUVER DESI In a bizarre sequence of events, almost 200 youths shaved off their heads to ward off ‘ill omen’ brought on by the death…
Continue Reading »

swimming

Bull makes a splash, interrupts state level swimming competition in India

VANCOUVER DESI An unlikely contestant — a bull, interrupted a state level competition in India by jumping into the pool to swim with participants, according…
Continue Reading »

politicians barred

Pakistani politicians barred from flight for turning up late

IANS Islamabad – Two Pakistani politicians were barred from a flight for holding it up for over one-and-a-half hours, media reported Tuesday. Passengers of an…
Continue Reading »

COLD_MURDER_SENTENCE_20130410_210705138

Man jailed for murder of Vancouver girlfriend wants to withdraw his guilty plea (with video)

KEITH FRASER VANCOUVER DESI A man who spent 12 years on the lam before being convicted in the fatal shooting of his teenage girlfriend wants…
Continue Reading »


Bollywood Latest

Sunny Leone

Sunny Leone’s one night stand

VANCOUVER DESI Indo-Canadian porn star-turned-Bollywood actress Sunny Leone is all set to romance Rana Daggubati in her next film titled One Night Stand, according to…
Continue Reading »

Bollywood

‘Bang Bang’ turned down ‘Bigg Boss’ offer?

IANS Mumbai – TV shows are considered an important platform to promote a film before its release, thanks to its wider reach. However, it seems…
Continue Reading »

Desi Sex

Gallery: Bollywood’s on-screen sex queens

VANCOUVER DESI When it comes to lighting fire on the silver screen, our Bollywood actresses don’t shy away from lovemaking scenes. But some are more…
Continue Reading »